Garret Club History

A small group of women came together for the first general meeting of The Garret Club in March of 1902.  As membership grew, the Club moved several times in the ensuing years, each move a step toward the construction of the current building at 91 Cleveland Avenue.  Designed by the architect E.B. Green, the cornerstone was laid December 1929.  Recently, The Garret Club was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Through those early years, there were many plays, ensemble recitals, and well-known performers in the world of classical music. Famed American stage actress, Katharine Cornell joined in 1913 and was an active member who participated in Club theatricals.  'The Show', an annual original production, was often the high point of the Club's entertainment.

As the Club has grown, responsibilities for its care and meeting contemporary interests have evolved.  The Club now offers educational seminars; lectures of local, national, and global interest; trips to places of interest in Western New York; an investment club; and a very active art committee that includes many fine member artist.

A large, gracious building, the Garret Club is situated in an historic residential neighborhood in the heart of the Elmwood Village. The Elmwood Village is noted for its restaurants, art galleries, and markets. The Club is just minutes from downtown Buffalo. The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, the Burchfield Penney Art Center, the Buffalo History Museum, and the State University College at Buffalo are also nearby, as is the Peace Bridge to Canada.